Sunday, October 18, 2015

Burnside Lichtenhainer

Just got back from California, where I bore witness to strange depravities and took part in some myself. Also inspiring acts of human kindness to which I should aspire. It's a weird place. Everything is more expensive there except liquor, which explains a lot, actually. But that's all I'm going to write about that adventure, at least for now.

Picked up a bottle of this from the Beer Mongers and poured into a Fin du Monde tulip. It was beat up when I got it from Goodwill, and my dishwasher has removed much of the gilt lettering, which is ironic considering how terrible it is at actually washing dishes.

I was unsure when I bought this, because I would've sworn I tried some kind of Burnside beer at the brewery that claimed to be smoky or something and was bogus instead. But this one's legit. The smell is light and slightly smoky, slightly wheaty, slightly funky, and slightly like graham crackers, which I cannot explain. But I do enjoy it. It's an alcohol-light beer that's big on flavor. If it were cheaper (and it's not terribly expensive as-is), I would consume this pretty regularly. It does tend to coat the palate though. Taste-wise, it's a little tart, kinda like a dry lemonade. There's oak there but it's subtle. Like if kids made a lemonade stand and only had an oak cask and no sugar. If that sounds like something you'd enjoy, try this. I enjoy it, for what it's worth.

No comments:

Post a Comment